Tuesday, November 29, 2011

Week of November 19 - 25: He Told me To Just Call Him Brother

As I mentioned before, one of my favorite times of each of my days was working in the field at the bottom of the valley from the school where I started my days.  The gentleman I worked with, a longtime villager and veteran of working the land, asked me to just call him my older brother (he spoke no English by the way).  Nepalese for older brother is "daaju" (pronounced: Da-Zu). He called me his younger brother which is "bhaai" (pronounced: BYE). He was 68 years old and everyday would offer me a cigarette even though I told him I didn't smoke and he thought that was just the funniest thing in the world, a man who worked the field who didn't smoke. Great guy.  Last time I saw him he hada 15 kg (35 pound) bag of tomatoes on his right shoulder embarking on a 1/2 mile walk to the nearest bus station, in flip flops.

No comments:

Post a Comment