Friday, November 11, 2011

November 5 - November 11: Teaching School

Teaching School
The week at the school has been full of challenges but productive.  We have moved on to learning how to write in the possessive and what it means to write comparative phrases (big, bigger, biggest, fast, faster, fastest…..etc).  The Nepali word I have been using this week is “ramro” (Pronounced as it is spelled) which is Nepali for “good”.  Another word we are using is “dayaan” (Pronounced DIE-ANN) which is “listen” as well as “paaunu jawaab” (Pronounced PIE-E-NOO  JI-WAB) which is “find answer”.  I have also come to devise a system with both of my classes, but especially my 6th grade class, where I have designated two students, a girl and a boy, to be my lieutenants and these lieutenants are in charge of each group of the class and if said groups get out of line, then these two little lieutenants take the fall and will be in trouble. Now, between you and I there is nothing I would do concerning punishment, but they do an awesome job of keeping the kids in line who are in their designated groups, and I continue to encourage them and thank them for helping me keep the class in line. 
There are so many opportunities and times I think of my mother and father and how I watched them in their classes during their careers and seeing myself emulate them.  All of this is hard work but rewarding. Even creating the lesson plans at night and seeking out tricks or methods to keep them locked in is as much of the puzzle as the execution the next day.

No comments:

Post a Comment