Tuesday, November 29, 2011

November 19-25: Vision and Focus


Do you see the genleman in the gray jacket to the left of the girl with the scarf? His name is Depak and he is an English teacher at a school approximately 3/4 of a mile in the direction he is walking.  Depak makes the walk to the bus station every morning for a ride to his school. This photo is unique because on the days we would pass each other he would be by himself, and every one of those days he would call out to me before I would even see him. In this photo he is already 600 yards from his home. What you don't see in this photo (blocked by the kid in the wool cap) is in Depak's right hand is a white cane. Deepak is totally blind.  Without fail, as we would meet he could hear me coming or sense the heaviness in my step (I wore steel toed boots).  He would call to me "Namaste Thomas, How are You?" Depak and I would shake hands, wish each other luck in our day, and part ways on this road almost every morning.


1 comment:

  1. Hi Thomas...sorry I have not been commenting on your blogs lately, but I have been reading them in batches and loving how you take us right there with you through your words and pictures. What an experience!
    Looking forward to hearing more first hand when next we see you.
    much love marty

    ReplyDelete